Sunday, September 29, 2013

Beth's Restoration Ecology Reflection


I thought this field trip was very interesting. It was fun but at the at the same time a lot of work. When we first arrived I didn't know what to expect.  I first thought the area we were going to was going to be like a forest with a babbling stream and wildlife roaming everywhere. But instead some parts of it looked like a meadow or a "savannah" as the ecologist expert called it. It was a very pretty place. I liked spreading the seeds and planting the acorns. The acorns tasted okay at first but they had a really bitter aftertaste. I see how restoration ecology is important, but I would not want to be one. It was actually really hard cutting down the evasive species. All the thorns would cut my skin and it hurt. I felt like a lumberjack cutting down all the evasive species. It sounds bad but the water buckets were actually pretty heavy and I didn't like carrying them. I think I was a better seed spreader and acorn digger. It was really fun working with my friends. It was hard to use the 2-person saw. All the brush made it impossible to move the saw, but as more of the brush got cleared the easier it got. 
I thought restoration ecology was a lot of hard work, it's impressive how much work those ecologist all put in. This fields trip gave me more respect for restoration ecologist. We worked for 3 hours and only cleared 1/8 of an acre, I can't even imagine restoring all the thousands of acres Glacier Park has. I bet the ecologist get a really good work out when they clear the evasive species and water the new trees.   
Restoration ecology is very beneficial, I really don't see a downside trying to restore nature to its natural state. It is good that some people still care about the environment and they are trying to preserve it for future generations. I think everyone should try restoration ecology so they know how much effort these ecologist put into saving the environments.



Glacier park 





My friends and I cutting down brush 


Pouring water on new trees 

Burying acorns 





No comments:

Post a Comment